David Pearce has extensive experience as an applied economist, having worked on a broad range of issues with TheCIE for the past 20 years (before which he was an officer at the Industry Commission, now Productivity Commission).
David combines detailed knowledge of contemporary economic issues and techniques with a sound understanding of quantitative economics and an ability to clearly present complex ideas to a variety of audiences.
With a long term commitment to commissioned research and consulting, David uses his detailed knowledge of economic analysis to clarify issues and to assist clients in tackling the diverse challenges they face in the modern economy. Our clients value David’s capacity to bring clear, logical thinking to the complex, high-stake economic decisions they make or influence
Over the past 20 years, David has actively developed expertise in:
- a variety of quantitative analytical techniques including economywide and simulation modelling, risk analysis and portfolio analysis – David has an extensive track record in applying quantitative techniques to solve problems for a wide variety of clients;
- trade and industry policy analysis, both economywide and industry-specific, including detailed studies in agriculture, mining, manufacturing, tourism, education and transport;
- regulatory analysis including the quantitative evaluation of the costs and benefits of particular regulations and of the effects of changes in regulation;
- greenhouse policy analysis, including modelling and other analytical tasks, assisting clients in understanding the challenges that climate change, and the policy response to it, poses – David has been involved in greenhouse and related issues for the past 15 years where his work has included providing advice and analysis to Australian and foreign governments, a range of industry groups as well as international organisations;
- water industry analysis, including estimating the cost of the current incidence of water restrictions as well as economic approaches to planning for new water infrastructure;
- R&D evaluation – in particular, quantitative empirical analysis of R&D outcomes, both in Australia and overseas; and
- clear and effective written and verbal communication.
David also has extensive international experience, including undertaking projects in Vietnam, China, India, Laos, Indonesia, Sri Lanka, Bulgaria and the Central Pacific.
David can be contacted at our Canberra office.
Global Student Mobility: An Australian Perspective Five Years On
Zero tillage for weed control in India: the contribution to poverty alleviation
Benefits to Australia from ACIAR-funded research
Standards and the economy
Public support for science and innovation - ACIAR submission
Principles for national reform: Learning lessons from NCP